Stephen A. Collins-Elliott
Department of Classics
1115 McClung Tower
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0413
Roman archaeology and ancient food consumption; archaeology of Morocco; Roman Republic; Bayesian statistics; small finds.
- Ph.D. in Classics, Florida State University, 2014
- B.A. in Classical Languages, Classical Antiquity, and Mathematics, University of Kansas, 2006
- Assistant Professor, Department of Classics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2014-present
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. Forthcoming. "Bayesian Inference with Monte Carlo Approximation: Measuring Regional Differentiation in Ceramic and Glass Vessel Assemblages in Republican Italy, ca. 200 BCE -- 20 CE." Journal of Archaeological Science.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2016. "Agglomerative Clustering using Cosine and Jaccard Distances: A Computational Approach to Roman Vessel Taxonomy." Archeologia e Calcolatori 27: 7-25.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. and K. Bowes. 2016. "New Evidence of the gens Ciartia: An Etruscan Tile Stamp from Cinigiano (GR), loc. Tombarelle." Etruscan Studies 19: 149-154.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2014. "Social Memory and Identity in the Central Apennines under Augustus.'' Historia: Zeitschrift für Alte Geschichte 63: 194-213.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. and I. Edlund-Berry. 2011. "A Bibliography of Sanctuaries and Ritual in Etruria.'' In The Archaeology of Sanctuaries and Ritual in Etruria, edited by N.T. de Grummond and I. Edlund-Berry, 143-65. Journal of Roman Archaeology Supplementary Series 81.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2017. "Rural Culture in Roman Tuscany: Small Finds from the Roman Peasant Project." AIA Colloquium Panel "Small Finds Writ Large," 118th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, Toronto, ON.
- Akerraz, A. and S.A. Collins-Elliott. 2017. "Gardens of the Hesperides: The Rural Archaeology of the Loukkos Valley. Preliminary Results of the 2016 Pilot Season.'' 118th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, Toronto, ON. Conference Poster.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2016. "Mauretanian Economics: Assessing Distribution and Integration in Northernmost Tingitana using Multivariate Data Analysis.'' 96th Anniversary Meeting of CAMWS - Southern Section, Atlanta, GA.
- 2016. "Interstitium inter habitus: Quantifying Regional Difference in Food Consumption Patterns in Late Republican Italy." TRAC Workshop. Making practice perfect: approaches to everyday life in Roman archaeology. UCL Institute of Archaeology, London, UK.
- 2016. "Time and the Past: Modeling Coin Deposition and Recovery Rates from the Roman Peasant Project (Cinigiano, GR)." 117th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, San Francisco, CA.
- 2015. "Departmental Citizenship and Strategic Planning for the Graduate Student." 111th CAMWS Annual Meeting, Boulder, CO.
- 2013. "Re-envisioning Culture in Classical Archaeology from the Enlightenment to the Globalizing Age.'' XVIII International Congress of Classical Archaeology, Mérida, Spain [Given as "L'interpretazione della cultura nell'archeologia classica dall'illuminismo alla globalizzazione"].
- 2013. "Deconstructing Roman Italy: An End to 'Roman Culture'?" 114th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, Seattle, WA [Delivered in absentia].
- 2012. "Materiality in Latin Historiography: Luxuria in the Roman Republic." 108th CAMWS Annual Meeting, Baton Rouge, LA.
- 2012. "Social Memory and Identity in the Central Apennines under Augustus." 113th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2008. "The Formation of Italic Religious Identity at Bantia during the Late Republic." 9th Annual FSU Dept. of Religion Graduate Student Symposium, Tallahassee, FL.
- 2008. "Quantification of Fifth-Century Attic Pottery at Tarquinia." UF/FSU Graduate Colloquium in Classics, Gainesville, FL.
- 2015-2016. Tennessee Humanities Center Fellowship
- 2012. Fulbright Research Grant, Italy
- 2010. Rankin Outstanding Graduate Student, Florida State University
- 2007. College Teaching Fellowship, Florida State University
- 2006. Phi Beta Kappa, University of Kansas