Geraldine C. Gesell
Department of Classics
The University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0413
Phone: (865) 974-5383
Fax: (865) 974-7173
- Vassar College, B.A. 1953. Major: Latin.
- The University of Oklahoma, M.A. 1955.
- Major: Latin. Minor: Greek.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Ph.D. 1972. Major: Classical Archaeology.
- The American School of Classical Studies at Athens, Greece.
- Associate Member 1965-66, 1969-72. Summer school 1960.
- The American Academy in Rome. Summer Session 1958.
- The Vergilian Society Summer Session in Italy and Sicily 1964.
- John Marshall High School, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 1955-65, 1966-67 (Latin teacher).
- Department of Classics, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1972-present.
- Assistant Professor 1972-79.
- Research Fellow 1977-78, American School of Classical Studies.
- Associate Professor 1979-1985.
- Lindsay Young Professor of Humanities 1983-84.
- Professor 1985-2002.
- Whitehead Fellow 1985-86, American School of Classical Studies.
- Lindsay Young Professor of Classics 1988-2002.
- Research Professor 2002-present,
- Corinth, Greece - American School training session 1970.
- Chania, Crete - Greek-Swedish Expedition 1970.
- Haghia Pelagia, Crete - Greek Excavation 1971, 1972.
- Mochlos, Crete - Mapping project in 1974.
- Kavousi, Crete - Mapping project in 1978.
- Kavousi, Crete - Excavation. Co-director. 1981.
- Kavousi, Crete - Cleaning. Co-director. 1982-84.
- Kavousi Project - Executive Director. 1984-present.
- Town, Palace, and House Cult in Minoan Crete. Studies in Mediterranean Archaeology. Göteborg, 1985.
- In progess: The final publication of the Kavousi Excavations.
- Many articles on Minoan religion and ritual artifacts, preliminary reports of the Kavousi Excavations (with Leslie Preston Day and William D. E. Coulson), and pottery technology (with Ted Saupe).
Papers & Lectures
- Numerous papers and lectures on the Minoan Civilization, Minoan Religion, and the Kavousi Excavations.
- Speaker for University of Tennessee Latin Day, the UT Anthropology Club, East Tennessee Society of the Archaeological Institute of America, Torch Club, Science Club, Oak Ridge Chapter of the AAUW, Board of Visitors of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Curator of the Classics Department Slide Collection
- Review team of the College of Architecture and the Department of German and Slavic Languages
- Doctoral committees in the Departments of Anthropology and Plant and Soil Science
- Advisory Council of the American Academy in Rome
- Archaeological Institute of America
- Classical Association of the Middle West and South
- Classical Society of the American Academy in Rome
- Managing Committee of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens
- Committee on Committees 1978-1980
- (Chair 1979-80); 1995-97
- Committee on Admissions and
- Fellowships 1981-85 (Chair 1981-85)
- Committee on Personnel 1985-89
- &Excavation and Survey Committee 1993-94
- Managing Committee of the INSTAP Study Center for East Crete
- Committee on Personnel
- Tennessee Classical Association
- Delta Kappa Gamma Society Fellowships 1965-66, 1969-70.
- American Association of University Women Fellowship 1970-71.
- The University of Tennessee Faculty Development Grants 1974, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001.
- American Philosophical Society 1981.
- American School of Classical Studies at Athens Whitehead Fellow 1985-86.
- The University of Tennessee Research Leave Grant 1985-86, 1993-94.
- The University of Tennessee Research Incentive Funds 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001.
- Institute for Aegean Prehistory 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001.
- National Endowment for the Humanities 1988, 1989, 1993-95.
- National Geographic Society 1989, 1990, 1991.
- Fulbright Research Fellowship for American School of Classical Studies, Athens, Greece 1994
Kress Foundation Fellowship 1994
- University of Tennessee Women of Achievement Award for Outstanding Teacher 1983.
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville Chancellor's Award for Research Achievement 1993.