Aleydis Van De Moortel
Professor and Head
Department of Classics
1102 McClung Tower
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0413
Phone: (865) 974-8279
Fax: (865) 974-7173
- Rise and decline of complex societies
- Aegean prehistory
- Minoan pottery
- Cultural interconnections in the Bronze Age Eastern Mediterranean
- Ancient and Medieval ship construction
- Mitrou Archaeological Project, Central Greece
- Malia, Crete: Protopalatial pottery of the surface survey of the Malia plain and foothills
- Malia, Crete: Neopalatial pottery of the Abords Nord-Est
- Kamares Cave, Crete: pottery
- The Medieval Utrecht Ship Type, Shipbuilding and Water Transport in the Southern North Sea Basin
- Ph.D Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology, Bryn Mawr College, 1997
- M.A. Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology, Bryn Mawr College, 1989
- M.A. Anthropology (Nautical Archaeology), Texas A&M University, 1987
- M.A. Classics ("Licentiaat"), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 1981
- Archaeology of the Aegean Bronze Age and Early Greece
- Archaeology and Art of Ancient Greece
- Archaeology and Art of Etruria and Rome
- History of Seafaring
- Ancient Greek and Roman Technology
- Pottery Analysis
- Latin language and literature
- Greek language and literature
- Survey of Ancient Western Art
- Egyptian Art
Articles and Book Chapters (selected)
- "Politics of Death at Mitrou: Two Prepalatial Elite Tombs in a Landscape of Power," in A. Dakouri-Hild and M.J. Boyd (eds.), Staging Death: Funerary Performance, Architecture, and Landscape in the Aegean (Berlin 2016) 89-116.
- Maran, J., and A. Van de Moortel, "A Horse Bridle Piece with Carpatho-Danubian Connections from Late Helladic I Mitrou and the Emergence of a Warlike Elite in Greece During the Shaft-Grave Period," American Journal of Archaeology 118.4 (Oct. 2014) 529-548.
- Karkanas, P. and A. Van de Moortel, "Micromorphological Analysis of Sediments at the Bronze Age Site of Mitrou, Central Greece: Patterns of Floor Construction and Maintenance," Journal of Archaeological Science 43 (2014): 198-213.
- Van de Moortel, A., and E. Zahou, "Five Years of Archaeological Excavation at the Bronze Age and Early Iron Age Site of Mitrou, East Lokris (2004-2008). Preliminary Results," in A. Mazarakis Ainian and A. Doulgeri-Intzesioglou (eds.), 3rd Archaeological Meeting of Thessaly and Central Greece 2006-2008. From Prehistory to the Contemporary Period (Volos 2012) 1131-1146.
- "The Middle Bronze Age Boat of Mitrou, Central Greece," in N. Günsenin (ed.), Between the Continents. Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Boat and Ship Archaeology (Istanbul 2012) 17-26.
- Tsokas, G.N., A. Van de Moortel, P. Tsourlos, A. Stampolidis, G. Vargemezis, and E. Zachou, "Geophysical Survey as an Aid to Excavation at Mitrou. A Preliminary Report," Hesperia 81 (2012): 383-432.
- Van de Moortel, A., and E. Zahou, "The Bronze Age-Iron Age Transition at Mitrou, in East Lokris: Evidence for Continuity and Discontinuity," in A. Mazarakis Ainian (ed.), The "Dark Ages" Revisited. Acts of an International Symposium in Memory of William D.E. Coulson, University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece, 14-17 June 2007 (Volos 2011) 331-347.
- "LM IB Ceramic Phases at Palaikastro and Malia: a Response to Seán Hemingway, J. Alexander MacGillivray & L. Hugh Sackett," in T. Brogan and E. Hallager (eds.), LM IB Pottery. Relative Chronology and Regional Differences. Acts of a workshop held at the Danish Institute at Athens in collaboration with the INSTAP Study Center for East Crete, 27-29 June 2007 (Athens 2011) 531-548. Monographs of the Danish Institute at Athens 11, 1.
- "Medieval Boat and Ship Finds of Germany, the Low Countries, and Northeast France: Archaeological Evidence for Shipbuilding Traditions, Shipbuilding Resources, Trade and Communication," Settlement and Coastal Research in the Lower North Sea Region 34 (2011): 1-38. Journal of the Niedersächsisches Institut für historische Küstenforschung—Lower Saxony Institute for Historical Coastal Research.
- "The Phaistos palace and the Kamares Cave: a Special Relationship," in M. Lindblom, W. Gauß, R.A.K. Smith, and J. C. Wright, eds., Our Cups Are Full: Pottery and Society in the Aegean Bronze Age. Papers Presented to Jeremy B. Rutter on the Occasion of his 65th Birthday (Oxford 2011) 306-318.
- "Interconnections between the Western Mesara and the Aegean in the Middle Bronze Age," in A. Philippa-Touchais, G. Touchais, S. Voutsaki, and J.C. Wright (eds.), Mesohelladika. The Greek Mainland in the Middle Bronze Age (Athens 2010) 875-884. Bulletin de Correspondance Hellénique supplement 52.
- D'Agata, A.L., and A. Van de Moortel (eds.), Archaeologies of Cult. Essays on Ritual and Cult in Crete (Princeton 2009). Hesperia Supplement 42
- Darcque, P., and A. Van de Moortel, "Special, Ritual or Cultic: A Case Study from Malia," in A.L. D'Agata and A. Van de Moortel (eds.), Archaeologies of Cult. Essays on Ritual and Cult in Crete (Princeton 2009) 31-41. Hesperia Supplement 42.
- "The Utrecht Ship Type: an Expanded Logboat Tradition in its Historical Context," in R. Bockius (ed.), Between the Seas. Transfer and Exchange in Nautical Technology. Proceedings of the Eleventh International Symposium on Boat and Ship Archaeology, Mainz, 2006 (Mainz 2009) 329-336. Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum Mainz, Tagungen no. 3.
- "The Utrecht Type and the Hulk: Adaptation of an Inland Boatbuilding Tradition to Urbanization and Growing Maritime Contacts in Medieval Northern Europe," in R. Bockius (ed.), Between the Seas. Transfer and Exchange in Nautical Technology. Proceedings of the Eleventh International Symposium on Boat and Ship Archaeology, Mainz, 2006 (Mainz 2009) 321-327. Tagungen RGZM, no. 3. Paper presented at Connected by the Sea. Tenth International Symposium on Boat and Ship Archaeology, Roskilde, 2003.
- "The Late Helladic IIIC-Protogeometric Transition at Mitrou, East Lokris," in S. Deger-Jalkotzy and A. Baechle (eds.), Late Helladic IIIC Late and the Transition to the Early Iron Age. Late Helladic IIIC Chronology and Synchronisms. Proceedings of the International Workshop sponsored by the SCIEM 2000 Project of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Feb. 22-25, 2007 (Vienna 2009) 359-372. Austrian Academy of Sciences. Peer-reviewed.
- Darcque, P., and A. Van de Moortel, "L'entrée Nord-Est du second palais de Malia: histoire, formes et fonctions," Bulletin de Correspondence Hellénique 131.2 (2007): 841-843.
- "Ancient and Medieval Ship Finds from Belgium," in Zeebroek I., Pieters M., and Gevaert G. (eds.), Verdronken Verleden - Passé Submergé - Drowned Past - Ertrunkene Vergangenheit (Beernem 2007), 30-37.
- "The Harbor of Kommos and its East Mediterranean Connections in the Protopalatial Period," in P.P. Betancourt, M.C. Nelson, and E.H. Williams (eds.), Krinoi kai Limenes. Studies in Honor of Joseph and Maria Shaw (Philadelphia 2007) 177-184. INSTAP Academic Press.
- "The Site of Mitrou and East Lokris in Homeric Times," in S. Morris and R. Laffineur (eds.), EPOS. Reconsidering Greek Epic and Aegean Bronze Age Archaeology. Proceedings of the 11th International Aegean Conference, organized by the University of Liège and UCLA, Los Angeles, April 21-23, 2006 (Liège 2007) 243-254. Aegaeum 28.
- "Middle Minoan Pottery Chronology and Regional Diversity," in F. Felten, W. Gauss, and R. Smetana (eds.), Middle Helladic Pottery and Synchronisms. Proceedings of the International Workshop Held at Salzburg Oct. 31 - Nov. 2, 2004 (Vienna 2007) 201-214. Austrian Academy of Sciences.
- "Adopting Knossian Ways: Neopalatial versus Protopalatial Pottery Production in the Western Mesara," in E. Tampakaki and A. Kaloutsakis (eds.), Proceedings of the 9th International Congress of Cretan Studies, Elounda, Crete, 1-6 Oct. 2001, Vol. A3 (Heraklion 2006) 147-158.
- Van de Moortel, A., and P. Darcque, "Late Minoan I Architectural Phases and Ceramic Chronology at Malia," in E. Tampakaki and A. Kaloutsakis (eds.), 9th International Congress of Cretan Studies, Elounda, Crete, 1-6 Oct. 2001, Vol. A1 (Heraklion 2006) 177-188.
- "A Re-examination of the Pottery from the Kamares Cave," in M.H. Wiener, J. L. Warner, J. Polonsky, and E. E. Hayes (eds.), Pottery and Society. The Impact of Recent Studies in Minoan Pottery. Gold Medal Colloquium in Honor of Philip P. Betancourt (Boston 2006) 73-93. Archaeological Institute of America.
- "Chap. 3. Minoan Pottery from the Southern Area, 1. Introduction: Presentation Format and Drawing Conventions (with J.B. Rutter)," "2. Middle Minoan IA and Protopalatial Pottery,"
- "4.1 Ceramic Imports of the Protopalatial Era," and "Chap. 5. Conclusions, 5.3 The Harbor Town and Its International Connections. Ceramic Evidence for External Contact: Protopalatial," in: J.W. and M.C. Shaw (eds.), Kommos V. The Civic Center (Princeton 2006) 261-377, 630-646, 688-715 and 72 pages of on-line tables with pottery data: https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/handle/1807/4774 (Protopalatial pottery only).
- "A New Look at the Utrecht Ship," in C. Beltrame (ed.), Boats, Ships and Shipyards. Ninth International Symposium on Boat and Ship Archaeology, Venice, 2000 (Venice, 2003) 183-189.
- "Pottery as a Barometer of Economic Change: From the Protopalatial to the Neopalatial Society in Central Crete," in Y. Hamilakis (ed.), Labyrinth Revisited: Rethinking Minoan Archaeology (Oxford and Oakville: Oxbow Press, 2001) 189-210.
- Langdon, M.K., and A. Van de Moortel, "Newly Discovered Greek Boat Engravings from Attica," in J. Litwin (ed.), Down the River to the Sea (Gdansk 2000) 85-89.
- "Un graffito de bateau de l'Âge du Bronze à Malia," BCH 118.2 (1994) 389-397.
- Senior-Career Award for excellence in research/creative achievement, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Tennessee, 2014
- Mediterranean Archaeology Trust, 2014
- NEH Fellowship, American School of Classical Studies in Athens, 2013-2014
- Fulbright U.S. Scholar grant to Greece for 2013-2014 (declined)
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Collaborative Research Grant (No. RZ-51162 for Mitrou Archaeological Project), 2010-2013
- Lindsay Young Professor of the Humanities, University of Tennessee, 2010-2017
- University of Tennessee, Chancellor's Award for professional promise in research and creative achievement, 2008
- Chancellor's Award, University of Tennessee (course release), 2007
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Collaborative Research Grant (No. RZ-50652-06) for Mitrou Archaeological Project, 2006-2009
- Loeb Classical Library Foundation grant for Mitrou Archaeological Project, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2014
- INSTAP Research Grants in support of Mitrou Archaeological Project, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Internal reviewer for Institute for Aegean Prehistory Academic Press, Publications of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, University Press Università Ca' Foscari, Venice, American Journal of Archaeology, Hesperia: Journal of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, Journal of Archaeological Science, International Journal of Nautical Archaeology, Journal of Maritime Archaeology, Relicta: Journal of the Flemish Archaeological Heritage Institute, Mouseion: Journal of the Classical Association of Canada
- Grant reviewer for NSF, NEH, and Fonds voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (Science Foundation of Flanders, Belgium)
- External reviewer No. 146081 for faculty recruitment and promotion in the General Registry Apella, Greece
- Vice-president, East Tennessee Society of the Archaeological Institute of America, 2016-2017
- Arts & Humanities Divisional Curriculum Committee, College of Arts and Sciences, UT Knoxville, 2014-
- Excavation and Survey Committee, American School of Classical Studies at Athens, 2007-2012 and 2015-2020
- Undergraduate Council, Curriculum Committee, UT Knoxville, 2015-2018
- International Advisory Committee of the Medieval Cogs Project, Flemish Heritage Institute, Belgium, 2010-
- Fundraising campaign establishing Archaeology Lecture Endowment at the University of Tennessee in honor of Harry C. Rutledge, 2007
- Undergraduate advising, Dept. of Classics, University of Tennessee, 2006-
- Advisory Committee of MARCO (Medieval and Renaissance Curriculum and Outreach Project), College of Arts and Sciences, University of Tennessee, 2004-
- Managing Committee of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, 2003-
- Secretary/treasurer of the East Tennessee Society of the Archaeological Institute of America, 2002-2016
- Archaeological Institute of America
- Institute of Nautical Archaeology
- American Anthropological Association – Society of American Archaeologists
- Classics Association of the Mid-West and South
- American Association of University Professors
- Medieval Academy of America