Department of Classics
1107 McClung Tower
The University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0413
Phone: (865) 974-7705
Fax: (865) 974-7173
Augustan poetry, Greek tragedy, gender and sexuality in the ancient world
- Ph.D., Classics, University of Toronto. Dissertation: Tragic Desire: Phaedra and Her Heirs in Ovid
(Advisor: A. Keith)
- M.A., Classics, University of Kansas. Thesis: Silence and power: The Metamorphosis of Rape Myths in Ovid (Advisor: P. Gordon)
- B.A., Classics, Smith College
- 2013-present — Lecturer, Department of Classics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- 2011-2013 — Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Classics, Skidmore College
- 2006-2011 — Instructor and Teaching Assistant, Department of Classics, University of Toronto
- 2004-2005 — Instructor and Teaching Assistant, Department of Classics, University of Kansas
- “Byblis’s “Feminine Latinity” in Ovid’s Metamorphoses 9.439-665.” Forthcoming, Helios.
- "Ovid's Epic Forest: A Note on Amores 3.1.1-6." CQ 63.2: 899-903.
- "Hecuba on the epic stage: Ovid's Met. 13.399-575." Mouseion 11.3: 1-21.
- Book Review: Lateiner, Gold, Perkins, edd. Roman Literature, Gender and Reception. Domina Illustris. CR 64.2: 1-3.
Conference Papers and Invited Lectures
- “A destructive text(ile): translating pain in TD ii.8.20 from Soph. Trach. 1046-1102.” SCS 2017.
- “Hostilis locus: Poetic Places and Political Proxemics in Ovid’s ex Ponto 3.1.” CAMWS SS, 2016.
- “Altera Medea: Euripides, Sophocles and intertextual doppelgängers in Ovid’s erotodidactic poems.” CAC, 2016.
- "The Ovidian Medea." Transylvania University (KY), October 2015.
- "Tereus' tears: the performance and performativity of crying in Met. 6.412-674." Augustan Poetry Conference, São Paulo, Brazil, July 2015.
- "The Velian Medea: Cicero's citation of Ennius' Medea in Fam. 7.6." CAMWS, 2015.
- "A scripta puella writes herself: Byblis' epistolary strategies in Ovid, Met. 9.450-665." KU, 2014.
- "Byblis' 'Feminine Latinity' in Ovid's Metamorphoses 9.439-665." CAC, 2013.
- "Queer Exchanges: Iphis and Ianthe in Ovid's Metamorphoses." LCC Panel, APA 2012.
- "Undesirable Desire: Sexual Subjects in Propertius 3.19." CAMWS, 2011.
- "Phaedra's Claim: Desire and Persuasion in Heroides 4." CAMWS SS, 2010.
- "Hecuba and the performance of lament on the epic stage: Ovid's Met. 13.399-575." CAC, 2009.
- "Vultus Componere Famae Taedet: Sulpicia's self-definition." CAMWS, 2008.
- "The dual 'Other' in the myth of Philomela and Tereus." CAMWS, 2006.
Works in Progress
- Monograph: Tragic Passions: the Poetics of Love and Rage in Ovid.
- Latin: all undergraduate levels
- Greek: beginning and intermediate
- Greek and Roman society and literature (seminars and lecture courses in translation)
- Ancient Greek and Roman mythology (lecture courses in translation)
- Introduction to Gender Studies; Feminist Theories and Methodologies