Stephen A. Collins-Elliott
Department of Classics
1113 McClung Tower
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0413
Social archaeology of Roman and pre-Roman Italy and North Africa; ancient food production and consumption; computational modeling; probability and statistics; ceramics; small finds; economics; archaeological theory and historiography
- Ph.D. in Classics, Florida State University, 2014
- B.A. in Classical Languages, Classical Antiquity, and Mathematics, University of Kansas, 2006
- Associate Professor, Department of Classics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2020-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Classics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2014-2020
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. Under review. The Rise of Rome and the Culture of Mass Consumption, ca. 400 BCE - 50 CE.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2019. "Quantifying Artifacts over Time: Interval Estimation of a Poisson Distribution using the Jeffreys Prior." Archaeometry. doi: 10.1111/arcm.12481
- Brughmans, T., J.W. Hanson, J.W., M.J. Mandich, I. Romanowska, I., X. Rubio-Campillo, S. Carrignon, S. Collins-Elliott, K. Crawford, D. Daems, F. Fulminante, T. de Haas, P. Kelly, M. del C. Moreno Escobar, E. Paliou, L. Prignano, and M. Ritondale. 2019. "Formal Modelling Approaches to Complexity Science in Roman Studies: A Manifesto." Theoretical Roman Archaeology Journal 2.4:1-19. doi: 10.16995/traj.367
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2018. "A Behavioral Analysis of Monetary Exchange and Craft Production in Rural Tuscany via Small Finds from the Roman Peasant Project." Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology 31: 155-179.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2017. "Either a God or a Wild Beast: Exile, Autonomy, and the Human Condition in Plutarch's Sertorius." Phoenix 71: 250-264.
- Akerraz, A. and S.A. Collins-Elliott. 2017. "Gardens of the Hesperides: The Rural Archaeology of the Loukkos Valley. Interim Report on the 2016 Season." FOLD&R Archaeological Survey 5.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2017. "Bayesian Inference with Monte Carlo Approximation: Measuring Regional Differentiation in Ceramic and Glass Vessel Assemblages in Republican Italy, ca. 200 BCE – 20 CE." Journal of Archaeological Science 80: 37-49.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2016. "Agglomerative Clustering using Cosine and Jaccard Distances: A Computational Approach to Roman Vessel Taxonomy." Archeologia e Calcolatori 27: 7-25.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. and K. Bowes. 2016. "New Evidence of the gens Ciartia: An Etruscan Tile Stamp from Cinigiano (GR), loc. Tombarelle." Etruscan Studies 19: 149-154.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2014. "Social Memory and Identity in the Central Apennines under Augustus.'' Historia: Zeitschrift für Alte Geschichte 63: 194-213.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. and I. Edlund-Berry. 2011. "A Bibliography of Sanctuaries and Ritual in Etruria.'' In The Archaeology of Sanctuaries and Ritual in Etruria, edited by N.T. de Grummond and I. Edlund-Berry, 143-65. Journal of Roman Archaeology Supplementary Series 81.
- Contributions to Bowes, K., ed. Forthcoming. The Roman Peasant Project 2009-2014: Excavating the Roman Rural Poor. Philadelphia: Penn Museum/University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2015. Review of: Quinn, J.C and N. C. Vella, eds. 2014. The Punic Mediterranean: Identities and Identification from Phoenician Settlements to Roman Rule. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. CJ-Online 15.09.06.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. Abstract Accepted. “Questioning Colonization: Lixus and Economic Development in the Oued Loukkos, Morocco.” AIA Colloquium Panel “Surveying the Punic World,” 121th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, Washington, DC.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2019. “Moroccan-American Surveys in the Oued Loukkos, Morocco: Preliminary Results of the Project Gardens of the Hesperides.” Colloquium “Perspectives from the Field: Recent Research on the Archaeology of Ancient North Africa,” Institute of Classical Archaeology, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich.
- Jawza, C.S., K. Jazwa, and S.A. Collins-Elliott. 2019. “Applications of the IFD and IDD to Complex Societies.” Society for American Archaeology 84th Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, NM.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. and C.S. Jazwa. 2019. “Ecological Modelling in the Oued Loukkos, Northern Morocco: The Process of Site Selection between Agency and Environment.” 120th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, San Diego, CA.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2018. “New Considerations on the Development of the Rural Economy around Lixus: Preliminary Results of Moroccan-American Surveys (INSAP-UT) in the Oued Loukkos.” XVe Congrés de l’Association PanAfricaine d’Archéologie, de Préhistoire et Disciplines Associées. Rabat, Morocco.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2018. “From Colonialism to Connectivity: Roman Republican Imperialism and the Tyrrhenian Economy.” 24th Annual Meeting of the European Association of Archaeologists. Barcelona, Spain.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2018. “Measuring Rural Economic Development through Categorical Data Analysis in Southern Etruria and Latium (400 BCE – 50 CE).” 19th International Congress of Classical Archaeology, Cologne/Bonn, Germany.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2018. “The Distribution and Mass Consumption of Wine through Maritime Networks in the Central Mediterranean, ca. 400 BCE – 50 CE.” Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference 13, Edinburgh, UK.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2018. “Where the Word of the Emperor Was Wind: Elite Networks and Imperial Visibility in the Cities of Mauretania Tingitana.” Roman Archaeology Conference 28, Edinburgh, UK.
- Jazwa, C.S. and S.A. Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2018. “An Ecological Framework for Diachronic Changes in Human Settlement in the Loukkos River Valley, Morocco.” 119th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, Boston, MA. Conference Poster.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2017. “Accounting for Sample Size: Measuring Cultural Distinction through Monte Carlo Approximations of Hellinger Distances.” 45th Annual Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods Conference: Digital Archaeologies, Material Words (Past and Present), Atlanta, GA.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2017. "Rural Culture in Roman Tuscany: Small Finds from the Roman Peasant Project." AIA Colloquium Panel "Small Finds Writ Large," 118th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, Toronto, ON.
- Akerraz, A. and S.A. Collins-Elliott. 2017. "Gardens of the Hesperides: The Rural Archaeology of the Loukkos Valley. Preliminary Results of the 2016 Pilot Season.'' 118th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, Toronto, ON. Conference Poster.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2016. "Mauretanian Economics: Assessing Distribution and Integration in Northernmost Tingitana using Multivariate Data Analysis.'' 96th Anniversary Meeting of CAMWS - Southern Section, Atlanta, GA.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2016. "Interstitium inter habitus: Quantifying Regional Difference in Food Consumption Patterns in Late Republican Italy." TRAC Workshop. Making practice perfect: approaches to everyday life in Roman archaeology. UCL Institute of Archaeology, London, UK.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2016. "Time and the Past: Modeling Coin Deposition and Recovery Rates from the Roman Peasant Project (Cinigiano, GR)." 117th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, San Francisco, CA.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2015. "Departmental Citizenship and Strategic Planning for the Graduate Student." 111th CAMWS Annual Meeting, Boulder, CO.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2013. "Re-envisioning Culture in Classical Archaeology from the Enlightenment to the Globalizing Age.'' XVIII International Congress of Classical Archaeology, Mérida, Spain.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2013. "Deconstructing Roman Italy: An End to 'Roman Culture'?" 114th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, Seattle, WA [Delivered in absentia].
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2012. "Materiality in Latin Historiography: Luxuria in the Roman Republic." 108th CAMWS Annual Meeting, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Collins-Elliott, S.A. 2012. "Social Memory and Identity in the Central Apennines under Augustus." 113th Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2018-2019. Loeb Classical Library Foundation Fellowship
- 2017-2018. Loeb Classical Library Foundation Fellowship
- 2015-2016. Tennessee Humanities Center Fellowship
- 2012-2013. Fulbright Research Grant, Italy
- 2010. Rankin Outstanding Graduate Student, Florida State University
- 2007. College Teaching Fellowship, Florida State University
- 2006. Phi Beta Kappa, University of Kansas
Select Courses Taught
- Art and Archaeology of Ancient Greece and Rome
- Beginning and Intermediate Latin
- Readings in Latin Prose (Cicero, De Natura Deorum and Livy 22)
- History of the Roman Republic
- Roman Civilization
- Cities and Sanctuaries of the Ancient Greek and Roman Worlds.
- Archaeology and Art of Ancient Italy and Rome
- Archaeology of North Africa
- Archaeological Statistics
New Curriculum Development
- Archaeological Statistics
Undergraduate Student Supervision
- 2019. Mary Gray, “Reconstruction of a Roman Fort: Photogrammetry of Tabernae (Lalla Jilaliya).” Exhibition of Undergraduate Research and Creative Achievement (EURēCA), UT.
- 2015. Chloe Lovelace, “A Study of Greek and Roman Stylistic Elements in the Portraiture of Livia Drusilla.” Honors Thesis, UT.
- 2015. Emma Pugmire, “Voices in the Sand: Epigraphy and Identity of the Roman Army in the East.” Honors Thesis, UT.
Graduate Student Supervision
- 2019. Kaitlyn Stiles, Committee Member, Ph.D. in Anthropology, UT. Dissertation, “Embodying Mycenaean Cultural Identity in a Late Bronze Age Cemetery in Central Greece.”
- 2018. Emily Noyes, Advisor, MA in Mediterranean Archaeology, UT. Thesis, “Common Ware of the Loukkos Valley: A Preliminary Typology and Distribution Analysis of Common Ware in the Countryside of the Roman City of Lixus.”
- 2019. Co-founder / co-chair (with J. Andrew Dufton), Archaeology of the Maghrib Interest Group, Archaeological Institute of America.
- 2019. Steering Committee, UT Humanities Center.
- 2019. Editorial Board, Libyan Studies.
- 2019. Peer Reviewer, Frontiers in Digital Humanities.
- 2016-present. Secretary-Treasurer, Archaeological Institute of America, East Tennessee Society.
- 2016-2018.Graduate Curriculum Committee, Marco Institute.
- 2014-2016. Dean’s Advisory Council, UT.