Department of Classics
1116B McClung Tower
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0413
Phone: (865) 974-
Fax: (865) 974-7173
Archaic to Hellenistic Greek poetry, ancient linguistic thought, manuscript traditions, papyrology, and imperial Roman literature
- Ph.D. University of Cincinnati, 2016
- M.A. University of Wisconsin, 2009
- B.A. Carleton College, 2006
- Lecturer, Department of Classics, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, 2016-Present
- 2016. "Dialect and Imitation in Late Hellenistic Epigram." In Dialect, Diction, and Style in Greek Literary and Inscribed Epigram, edited by A. Rengakos and E. Sistakou, 37-70. Berlin: De Gruyter.
- 2014. "P.Tebt. 2.562: Conclusion to a Report of Proceedings." BASP 50: 123-127.
- 2016. Review of M. Solitario, Leonidas of Tarentum between Cynical Polemic and poetic refinement. Quaderni dei Seminari romani di cultura greca. Rome: Quasar (2015). BMCR 2016.07.33
Conference Papers and Invited Lectures
- 2016. "ΤΟ ΣΥΜΜΙΚΤΟΝ: Dialect on Stone and Bookroll." Casting Off Shadows: Hellenistic Poetry Beyond Callimachean Aesthetics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK. September 1-3, 2016.
- 2016. "Dialect and Poetic Self-Fashioning in Hellenistic Book Epigram." 147th Annual Meeting of the Society of Classical Studies, San Francisco, CA, January 6-9, 2016.
- 2015. "Dialect and Imitation in Late Hellenistic Epigram." 9th Trends in Classics Thessaloniki International Conference on Dialect, Diction, and Style in Greek Literary and Inscribed Epigram, Thessaloniki, Greece, May 29-31, 2015.
- 2010. "Being Atticus: The Politics of Friendship at the End of the Republic." 106th Annual Meeting of CAMWS, Oklahoma City, OK, March 24-27, 2010.
University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2016-2017)
- Introductory Latin
- Latin Transition
- Intermediate Greek
- Ancient Epic (in translation)
University of Cincinnati
- Classical Mythology (in-person and online)
- Introductory Latin
- Intermediate Latin (Nepos and Ovid)
- Roman Civilization
- American Society of Papyrologists Summer Institute Fellowship (2011)
- Louise Taft Semple Fellowship, University of Cincinnati (2009-2015)
- University Fellowship, University of Wisconsin (2007-2009)
- John J. Winkler Memorial Essay Prize (2006)
- Phi Beta Kappa (2006)
- "Everyday Latin: From the Streets of Pompeii to the Military Camps of Britain" at the 35th annual Latin Day on the campus of the University of Tennessee (Oct. 6, 2016).
- Delivered series of presentations on the archaeology of Pompeii and the history of the Greek language to schools, libraries, and retirement communities in the Cincinnati area as part of the University of Cincinnati's Classics Department Outreach Program (2012-2015).