Department of Classics
1116B McClung Tower
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0413
Phone: (865) 974-5429
Fax: (865) 974-7173
Greek and Roman Art & Archaeology, Ancient Magic & Apotropaia, Greek & Roman Religion in Art
- Ph.D. in Classics (Florida State University, 2017)
- M.A. in Classical & Near Eastern Archaeology (Bryn Mawr College, 2005)
- M.F.S. in Forensic Science (George Washington University, 2001)
- B.A. in Classical & Near Eastern Archaeology and Biology (Bryn Mawr College, 1999)
- Lecturer, Department of Classics, University of Tennessee Knoxville, 2018-present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Director of Latin Studies, Old Dominion University, 2017-2018
- In progress. “On Hippocrates and Plato: Medical Language and Organization in the Symposium.”
- In progress. “The Bow of Odysseus and Penelope Polutropos.” Co-authored with J.T. Barnes.
- Forthcoming. Artifact entries, plans, and drawings in new Cetamura del Chianti volume (title to be determined). Edited by N. T. de Grummond.
- Entries, in The Sanctuary of the Etruscan Artisans at Cetamura del Chianti: The Legacy of Alvaro Tracchi (Catalogue of Exhibition). N. T. de Grummond, ed. Florence. 2009.
Conferences and Invited Lectures
- “Don't Blink! Rethinking Apotropaia in Ancient Greece.” Invited paper for the Old Dominion University Art History Association in Norfolk, VA. February 2018.
- “Seeking Help from the Gods and Men: Chronological Changes in the Language of Apotropaia,” Paper read at the 111th CAMWS Annual Meeting in Boulder, CO. Mar. 25 – 28. 2015.
- “Displacing the Gods: Household Ritual in Tetrarchic Corinth.” Paper read at the 115th AIA / APA Joint Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL. Jan. 2 – 5. 2014.
- “Prophetic Landscapes: A Case Study of the Trophoneion at Levadia.” Paper read at the Bridges to New Worlds - Annual Meeting of the Theoretical Archaeology Group (TAG) in Buffalo, NY. May 17 – 20. 2012.
- “On Hippocrates and Plato: Plato as a doctor in the Symposium and the Timaeus.” Paper read at the 108th CAMWS Annual Meeting in Baton Rouge, LA. Mar. 28 – 31. 2012.
- “Archaeological Field Mapping and Ceramic Illustration: A Workshop.” Guest lecture at The Florida State University Field School at Cetamura del Chianti (Civitamura), in collaboration with New York University and the University of North Carolina, Asheville. June 2011.
- “Analytical Drawing Techniques in the Analysis of Ceramics.” Guest lecture at Studio Art Centers International: Florence, in collaboration with Maryland Institute College of Art and Florida State University. July 2010.
- “Analytical Drawing Techniques in the Analysis of Ceramics.” Paper read at the Ceramics Roundtable, Department of Classics, Florida State University. November 2009.
- “The American-Ukrainian Scythian Kurhan Project: Research at Alexandropol and Krasnokutsk.” Poster Session, AIA / APA Joint Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA. Jan. 4 – 9. 2007.
- “Marriage Iconography in the Great Temple of Zeus at Olympia.” Paper read at the 2007/XIIIth Graduate Symposium on the Ancient Mediterranean World at The Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. April 2007.
- “Funerary Portraiture.” Paper read at the Head to Toe: (Un) Covering the Body - The Bryn Mawr College Graduate Symposium. 2003.
- Faculty Dissertation Fellowship, Department of Classics, Florida State University. 2015-2016.
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Florida State University. 2014.
- FSU Foundation Conference Award, Florida State University. 2013.
- Angelos Langadas Fellowship, Department of Classics, Florida State University. 2012.
- Ermine M. Owenby, Jr. Award to Promote Excellence, Florida State University. 2012.
- ARCS Short-Term Research Fellowship, The American Research Center in Sofia. 2011.
- Thompson Award, Department of Classics, Florida State University. 2010 – 2011.
- Rankin Travel Fellowship, Department of Classics, Florida State University. 2008.
- Thompson Fellowship, Department of Classics, Florida State University. 2005 – 2009.
- Graduate Fellowship, Bryn Mawr College. 2002 – 2005.
- Dorothy Nepper Marshall Fellowship, Bryn Mawr College. 1998 – 1999.
- Undergraduate Research Fellow, Molecular Laboratory, American Museum of Natural History, New York NY. 1997.
- Alumnae Regional Scholars Award, Bryn Mawr College. 1995