Department of Classics
1115 McClung Tower
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0413
Phone: (865) 974-5404
Fax: (865) 974-7173
Greek and Roman Art and Archaeology, Corinthian Studies, Ancient Cult and Ritual Practice, Coroplastic Arts, Gender in Antiquity
- Ph.D., University at Buffalo, 2009
Dissertation: Kokkinovrysi: A Classical Shrine to the Nymphs at Corinth
- M.A., University at Buffalo, 2003
- B.A., University of Evansville, 2000
- Distinguished Lecturer 2020-Present
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Classics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2017-2020
- Lecturer, Department of Classics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2011-2017
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Humanities, Columbus State Community College, Columbus, 2009-2011
- Adjunct Professor, First Year Program, Denison University, Granville, 2010
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Art and Art History, Buffalo State College, Buffalo, 2009
- Instructor, Department of Classics, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, 2003-2005
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Classics, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, 2000-2002
- (in progress) "Recovering Terracotta Figurine Assemblages from Shrines in the Potters' Quarter and Corinth," in The Potters' Quarter: A Corinthian Context Revisited (Hesperia Supplement), ed. K. Harrington and A. F. Ward.
- 2021. “Teaching Evidence Use and Interpretation with Coins,” Journal of the Numismatic Association of Australia 30: 24-46. (co-written with Lee L. Brice)
- "Never Out of Style: Teaching Latin Love Poetry with Pop Music," TCL 10.2 (2019).
- "Don't Borrow Money from Catullus...or Rihanna," Sententiae Antiquae, 15 August 2019. https://sententiaeantiquae.com/2019/08/15/dont-borrow-money-from-catullus-or-rihanna/
- "Offerings, Ritual, and Water: The Case of the Sacred Spring at Corinth," in Waters of Antiquity, eds. B. Robinson and S. Bouffier. (forthcoming 2019)
- "Locating Lost Gifts: Terracottas as Evidence for Ephemeral Offerings," JGA 3 (2018): 245-268.
- "The Greek Cult of the Nymphs at Corinth," Hesperia 86.4 (2016): 711-777.
- "Marriage" and "Sexuality" in The Routledge Dictionary of Ancient Mediterranean Religions. eds. Eric Orlin, Lisbeth Fried, Michael Satlow and Jennifer Knust. (with Erin Darby). 2016.
- "Cueing Behavior: Figurines at Roadside Shrines in Corinth" in Figurines de Terre Cuites en Méditerranée Grecque et Romaine: Iconographie et Contexte. eds. Ergün Lafli and Arthur Muller. Septentrion. 2015. p.407-416.
- Silent Participants: Terracottas as Ritual Objects (Actes de la réunion Silent Participants Philadelphie janvier 2012) (co-edited with Caitlin Barrett and Clarissa Blume) in Figurines Grecques en Contexte. eds. Stéphanie Huysecom-Haxhi and Arthur Muller. Septentrion. 2015.
- with Lee L. Brice, Teaching General Education Classes with Material Culture: Coins, AAH annual conference (online), May 2021
- "Smelly Sanctuaries: Odor and Experience at the Greek Sanctuary," AIA/Baltimore Chapter, September 2020 (online)
- "Adventures in Group Work in the Classics Classroom," AIA/SCS Annual Meeting, January 2021 (online)
- "The Sensual Experience of the Graeco-Roman Sacrifice," Tennessee Foreign Language Teaching Association annual meeting, November 2019.
- "...And Some Figurines: Recovering Terracotta Assemblages from the Potters’ Quarter," AIA, Annual Meeting (San Diego, CA), January 2019.
- "Dancers, Riders, and Standing Ladies: Leading Figures in Terracotta Assemblages at Small Corinthian Shrines," International Conference: Terracottas Through Time, II, Haifa, Israel, March 2018
- "Never Out of Style: Teaching Latin Love Poetry with Taylor Swift," CAMWS annual meeting (Kitchener, ON) April 2017
- "The Most Popular Girl at the Shrine: Reconsidering the Classical Corinthian Standing Female Figurine" AIA Annual Meeting (Toronto, Canada) 2017.
- "Little Gifts: Dedications at the Sacred Spring in Corinth," AIA annual meeting (San Francisco, CA), January 2016
- "Smells at the Sanctuary: Scents as Offering to the Gods," CAMWS, annual Meeting (Boulder, CO), March 2015.
- "Offerings and Ritual at Corinthian Springs," HYDROMED: International Conference on Water and Cult (Athens, Greece), July 2015.
- "Infiltrating the Empire: The Cult of the Nymphs in the Roman World," CAMWS, Annual Meeting (Waco, TX), April 2014.
- "Pleasing the Nymphs: Figurines, Plaques, and Other Appropriate Gifts," AIA/East Tennessee Chapter, Archaeology Day, October 2013.
- "Gods in the Neighborhood: Reality and Invention in the Shrine of Pan and the Nymphs at Phyle," CAMWS, Annual Meeting (Iowa City, IA), April 2013.
- " Locating Lost Gifts: Terracottas as Evidence for Ephemeral Offerings," AIA, Annual Meeting, (Seattle, WA), January 2013.
- "Romancing Romans: Love and Marriage in the Roman World," University of Tennessee, Latin Day for High School Students, November 2012.
- "Finding the Forgotten Offerings: Evidence for Ribbons, Flowers, Cakes, and Other Ephemeral Dedications" CAMWS, Annual Meeting, (Baton Rouge, LA), March 2012
- "Silent Participants: Terracottas as Ritual Objects." Colloquium Co-organizer Annual Meeting of AIA, Philadelphia, January 2012
- "A Villa Complex at Kokkinovrysi: Connecting the Roman Buildings on the Western Edge of Corinth." Annual Meeting of the AIA, Anaheim, January 2010
- "Out of the Cave and into the City: Evidence for the Cult of the Nymphs at Corinth." Annual Meeting of the AIA, Philadelphia January 2009
- "Dancing Outside the City: The Kokkinovrysi Figurine Deposit." Annual Meeting of the AIA, Chicago, January 2008
- "Caves, Springs, and Stelai: Natural and Constructed Landscapes for Nymphs." Tea Talk Lecture, ASCSA, Athens, Greece, March 2008
- "Kokkinovrysi: A Corinthian Shrine for the Nymphs?" Tea Talk Lecture, ASCSA, Athens, Greece, May 2007
- "Cueing Behavior: Figurines at Roadside Shrines in Corinth." International Conference: Terracotta Figurines in the Greek and Roman Mediterranean, Izmir, Turkey, June 2007
- Society for Classical Studies Excellence in Teaching at the Collegiate Level, 2021
- Kress Publication Fellowship, ASCSA, 2017-2018
- Finalist, Chancellor's Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Tennessee, 2016
- Lecturer Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Tennessee, College of Arts and Sciences, 2015
- Henry S. Robinson Corinth Research Fellowship, ASCSA, Summer 2010
- Humanities Institute Dissertation Fellowship, University at Buffalo, 2008-2009
- Doreen C. Spitzer Research Fellowship, ASCSA, 2007-2008
- Dorothy B. and Homer A. Thompson Research Fellowship, ASCSA, 2006-2007
- John William White Fellowship, Regular Program, ASCSA, 2005-2006
- Graduate Excellence in Teaching Award, University at Buffalo, 2005